The library provides public computers and Internet access as a resource for education and information. Any other use is strictly prohibited.
II. Rules for Using Library Computers
1. You must present your Jefferson Public Library card at the desk to use a computer. Patrons whose residence does not qualify them for a Jefferson Public Library card may show identification (i.e. current driver’s license, library card from their home library, etc.)
2. All fines over $1.00 must be paid to use the computer.
3. Use of the computers is on a first-come, first-served basis, however reservations can be made.
4. To make an appointment to use the computer, you may come in or call ahead to schedule use within one week. Reservations will only be held for 10 minutes past the appointed time. If a cancellation occurs, the time becomes free for the next person who comes in or calls. If you fail to notify the library to cancel an appointment three times, future appointments will be denied.
5. Use of the computer will be limited to 1 hour time slots. If no one is waiting to use the computer, you may continue using it for 1 more hour, not to exceed two hours per day.
6. Priority on one computer will be given to use of the digitized microfilm. When not in use for this purpose, the time limit on this computer shall be 15 minutes, unless no one is waiting.
7. There will be no more than two persons at a workstation at a time.
8. You may not use your own software programs on the library computers.
9. You may save files to a disk or CD, but not to the library’s hard drive. Disks and CDs are available for purchase at the desk for a minimal charge, or you may bring your own.
10. There is a charge for printing. (see fines & fees chart in circulation policy)
11. Misuse of the computers or Internet access will result in the loss of your computer privileges at the library. The length of the suspension is at the discretion of the library director.
12. If a computer fails to operate properly during a particular time period, the regular schedule will have to continue and lost time cannot be added on to the user’s appointment.
13. Library staff has the right to cancel or interrupt use of the computers.
14. Patrons may not make any attempt to alter or damage computer hardware or software. Abuse of the rules will result in loss of privileges. Library staff has the right to restrict or refuse use of library computers to people who cannot abide by the rules.
15. Library staff is not responsible for computer instruction, however, with time permitting, staff may provide basic assistance. You must ask a librarian to connect you to the Internet if a password is required.
Internet access is not available on the public computers in the children’s department. Anyone under 6th grade must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Parents are advised to supervise their children’s Internet sessions.
This policy applies to all users of the Jefferson Public Library Internet workstations. Using the library’s Internet workstations means you have read and agreed to this policy. Internet access at the Jefferson Public Library is a service, not a right!
The library monitors and exercises some control over the information accessed through the Internet but cannot be held responsible for its content. We have installed filtering software, however filtering software does not guarantee your child will not be able to access “offensive” material. Not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete or current information and can be personally offensive. All resources accessible through the Library are provided equally to all Library users.
Use of e-mail and social networking websites is allowed.
1. Patron may not use any library workstation for illegal or criminal purposes.
a. Violate Iowa state law, which makes it illegal to download or purvey child pornography, purvey pornography to children, or commit fraudulent acts using the Internet.
b. Violate United States copyright law (Title 17 U.S. Code) which prohibits the
unauthorized reproduction of copyrighted materials, except as permitted by the principles of “fair use”.
2. Patron may not use library workstations to gain unauthorized access to the library’s or any other organization’s networks or computer systems.
1. The Jefferson Public Library expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility arising from access to or use of information obtained through its electronic information systems, or any consequences thereof.
2. Credit card use or personal account information may be used on Library computers, however, the Library cannot guarantee the confidentiality of such transactions.
VI. Wireless Internet Access
1. Technical Requirements:
You will need a notebook/laptop computer or other wireless device with 802.11g wireless networking capability. If your computer or other device does not include wireless networking, you may be able to purchase a variety of external pc cards and USB devices. The manufacturer or supplier of your equipment, or local technology merchants can help you find the right product for your notebook/laptop computer or other device. Printers are NOT available to wireless users in the library. Audio output must be muted or directed to headphones provided by the user.
2. Access and Responsibility:
You may encounter some "dead" spots within the library where wireless reception may be limited. If you have trouble accessing the Internet or staying online please move to a different location within the library.
By choosing to use this free service, you agree to abide by the Jefferson Public Library’s Internet & Computer Use Policy. This policy states the limitations of internet access, your responsibilities for using that access, and provides examples of acceptable and unacceptable uses.
The Jefferson Public Library's wireless network is not secure. Information sent to and from your notebook/laptop computer or other wireless device may be captured by anyone else with a wireless device and the appropriate software.
Library staff is not able to provide technical assistance and no guarantee can be made that you will be able to make a wireless connection.
The Jefferson Public Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment or for notebook/laptop computer or other wireless device configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Jefferson Public Library’s wireless access.
Adopted: February 13, 2012